1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apex engine in TM4

Discussion in 'TM-4 Tomcar' started by tymadd, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tymadd

tymadd Member

I'm currently installing an apex engine into my 2011 TM4. My car had a Lombardini diesel engine when I purchased at auction. Looking for some more power and speed, definitely not wanting to turbo. Not sure if anyone is interested, I will keep motor mount details for the design. The engine tray and transmission are being fabricated now. The apex fuel pump fits directly into stock fuel tank at the back, the tank depth is perfect. Not sure if I will require a new radiator or if factory will suffice. I will post pictures once engine is mounted.

2. tymadd

tymadd Member

Final fitting of engine and engine mounts will happen this weekend hopefully. We added additional plate to engine tray to increase strength. Building motor mounts out of 3/8" plate steel so that should handle the torque of the apex engine. Once engine and tray are complete, then it is time to complete the custom header to route the exhaust similar to stock exhaust. Tricky part is the engine is reverse to the lombardini. The Apex exhaust is straight out the back of the engine and intake is facing transmission.

3. Dwayne Hagan

Dwayne Hagan New Member

How did your install go? I have a TM2 and I have been shopping for ideals on a motor replacement. I would like to speak with you about the challenges of your motor swap. Feel free to Email me @ dwayneh@longhornmech.net if you don't mind sharing some info. Thanks Dwayne

4. tymadd

tymadd Member

Sorry for late reply, I have sent you an email.

Car works great compared to diesel or the pervious model gas my friend has, lots of torque and power. It does not come without issues, lots of fabrication required, and still not perfect. If anyone does swap engines ensure the tomcar primary clutch is mounted on the new engine. I went with a Yamaha/Tomcar option and it works but needed to build clutch enclosure as Yamaha clutch does not like dust. Custom air intake under front hood, exhaust system, mount oil tank, lower radiator 3-4" to fit exhaust, mount engine fuel pump in tomcar fuel tank, install Yamaha apex gauge on dash and install Yamaha ignition key in place of tomcar key. I used 5/8" plate steel for the engine mounts.

5. Rhwhitten

Rhwhitten New Member

Did you use same transmission or have to make something else?

6. tymadd

tymadd Member

Yes it is the same transmission. Yamaha apex primary clutch with Tomcar secondary. Using the Tomcar belt. I've ran the car for two years now with out any real issues. My next item is to alter exhaust as it is quite loud.

7. Rhwhitten

Rhwhitten New Member

Cool deal let me know what you end up doing on exhaust to quiet it

8. tymadd

tymadd Member

Currently have 2.5" system, going to install similar size to new Yamaha Sport side by side. It is about 1 1/4". I will let you know once complete

9. Rhwhitten

Rhwhitten New Member

Awesome would u mind sending pictures?